STUMP'S NATION

"A Forum Dedicated to talking about the BEST (GF)gravity-fed smoker on the PLANET!"
Photobucket
It is currently June 26th, 2017, 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Awning for a enclosed trailer?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 5:18 pm 
Offline
Platinum 6
User avatar

Joined: April 22nd, 2010, 5:39 am
Posts: 5023
Location: Morristown, Minnesota
Has thanked: 1670 times
Have thanks: 1344 times
Since I don't want Charlie to get all covered in road grime, I'm looking at purchasing an enclosed trailer. I would like to roll Charlie out and be able to cook at any location.

On a local Craigs List, I seen an ad listing a retractable house awning 9' long by 10 wide. Do you think I could fasten this to the side of a trailer like they would on a camper? It would be much more stable than a pop up shelter. Being that the enclosed trailer is lower profile than a camper, I would put the awning on the side opposite the side entrance door. I guess another key item is if it can lock in the stored position? Don't ask me why, but I have some experience with one unrolling at freeway speeds on our old camper several years ago. :o

_________________
Stretch Owner as of 6-11-10

I'm just a guy in my backyard, playing with fire and smoke
Mark
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awning for a enclosed trailer?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 6:58 pm 
Offline
Platinum 6
User avatar

Joined: April 22nd, 2010, 8:49 am
Posts: 3374
Location: Seattle Washington
Has thanked: 505 times
Have thanks: 689 times
markcp wrote:
Since I don't want Charlie to get all covered in road grime, I'm looking at purchasing an enclosed trailer. I would like to roll Charlie out and be able to cook at any location.

On a local Craigs List, I seen an ad listing a retractable house awning 9' long by 10 wide. Do you think I could fasten this to the side of a trailer like they would on a camper? It would be much more stable than a pop up shelter. Being that the enclosed trailer is lower profile than a camper, I would put the awning on the side opposite the side entrance door. I guess another key item is if it can lock in the stored position? Don't ask me why, but I have some experience with one unrolling at freeway speeds on our old camper several years ago. :o

I would guess you had a mechanical malfunction in your awning that made it unroll on the freeway. They have a very strong sprin inside of the tube and either the spring or the shaft, with time can snap. I know cause it happened on our travel trailer, and it wasnt an easy fix. I had a friend help me one Saturday afternoon and it was a pain getting the spring wound the right amount in the tube before reattaching to the awning. I am guessing you didint have the screw knobs that would lock it in place while traveling? That would have kept it from unwinding.
The awning for a home could work. It probably doesnt have the hardware to fasten it but that can be reworked, with some work and probably some expense doing a conversion of attachment What about the legs? is it the kind that go straight down to the ground of go on a 45 degree back to the wall? One thing about awnings is, they dont like wind. When ever we went camping, if it was windy we would either not set it up or we would roll it up if it were out. We had a couple friends who 's awnings got broken and ruined beating it the wind.One was so bad we couldnt even get it up to drive. Had to take a hack saw to it and remove it. If all you would be dealing with is rain, no worries but if it would be wind also I personally would go with a popup with weights on all four corners. That is what I made and got the idea for the weights from some one here, I cant remember who right now but it works perfectly, even in the wind. If you want to stay dry in a wind and rain you can even get 2 or 3 side walls for it. That's my thought my friend

_________________
Darrell
Uncle D's BBQ
Stumps Stretch
22" "Roswell" Discada
Ducane gas grill
"All cooking is a matter of time. In general, the more time the better."
"I cook with wine and beer, sometimes I even add it to the food."






Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awning for a enclosed trailer?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 7:09 pm 
Offline
Platinum 6
User avatar

Joined: April 22nd, 2010, 5:39 am
Posts: 5023
Location: Morristown, Minnesota
Has thanked: 1670 times
Have thanks: 1344 times
Thanks Darrell.

The awning that came off was on a 23 year old Coachman 5th wheel. First trip out. Ha ha, we bought it reasonable and was a huge size advantage over our old popup camper. The awning only had a spring, no lock for in or out. We replaced it with a new awning, that made the camper worth double the money. I used dog screw anchors turned into the ground with ratchet straps to keep the wind from ripping it up. Lucky I was able to sell the camper before it would of needed a bunch of money thrown at it. Kids were older and not interested anymore.

I emailed the people about the house awning, but they have not gotten back to me, so it could be sold? I remember telling a member here about a $49 pop up from Northern Tool this winter. Guess I should of bought one too?

Just asking some questions and getting some ideas..

_________________
Stretch Owner as of 6-11-10

I'm just a guy in my backyard, playing with fire and smoke
Mark
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awning for a enclosed trailer?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 7:50 pm 
Offline
Platinum 6
User avatar

Joined: April 22nd, 2010, 7:40 am
Posts: 3525
Location: Barnesville, Georgia
Has thanked: 124 times
Have thanks: 133 times
Mark, This might be totally offbase...but here goes.
When I get my comp trailer, I want hard awnings on both sides. This will be a pain for the walk out door side, but I think you could make a hard awning almost wind tolerant?? :| :| :?:
The back of the trailer will be a porch and the smokers will stay onboard. Also a back awning will help keep thing secure. If you ever get a chance to look at Rubs trailer you will get some very good ideas. Maybe I can get some pics at the next couple of Ga contests for you if Rub is ok with it.

_________________
Mike from Barnesville, Georgia...Home of STUMPS FEST 2010 at the barn
Barnesville Blues Brothers Competition Cook Team
Stretch
Baby
Large BGE
Women are like rocks...The flat ones are best skipped.
"I am not afraid of falling...I just don't want to hit the ground"
WE ARE THE COMPETITION!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awning for a enclosed trailer?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 8:03 pm 
Offline
Platinum 6
User avatar

Joined: May 5th, 2010, 7:00 pm
Posts: 3623
Location: Lakeland Florida
Has thanked: 1079 times
Have thanks: 631 times
Mark Why :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have had my window almost blow off. I know wind can do a trick on awning while you are away,,,and a storm comes in; done been there.

Maybe a easy up over the back of rear ramp...that you convert to porch. I was thinking about that to start with. I will use my rachet tie downs to hold in storms. I think I gave 88.00 for it at wally world. I got to see how long it takes to setup (alone) never took out bag yet.

_________________
Stretch As Aug 07, 2010
(THE HULK) GARRETT
Weber Kettle
Stoker and Thermopen (lime Green)
If its not smoked, Dont attempt to Eat it
Through Christ Everything is Possible
Vegetarian old Indian word for poor hunter

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awning for a enclosed trailer?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 8:29 pm 
Offline
The Stretch
User avatar

Joined: April 22nd, 2010, 9:44 am
Posts: 564
Location: youngstown,ohio
Has thanked: 74 times
Have thanks: 176 times
Rub showed us pics of his trailer at the butt to butt contest and that thing is sweet :D

_________________
SPITTIN' FEATHERS BBQ
STRETCH-1
STRETCH-2
Lge Egg
lil tex


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awning for a enclosed trailer?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 8:31 pm 
Offline
Platinum 6
User avatar

Joined: April 21st, 2010, 11:07 pm
Posts: 5787
Location: O-Town Near "THE" Mouse (Orlando, Fl)
Has thanked: 2737 times
Have thanks: 907 times
blues brother wrote:
Mark, This might be totally offbase...but here goes.
When I get my comp trailer, I want hard awnings on both sides. This will be a pain for the walk out door side, but I think you could make a hard awning almost wind tolerant?? :| :| :?:
The back of the trailer will be a porch and the smokers will stay onboard. Also a back awning will help keep thing secure. If you ever get a chance to look at Rubs trailer you will get some very good ideas. Maybe I can get some pics at the next couple of Ga contests for you if Rub is ok with it.

The Swamp Boys hard awnings are fantastic. If you look closely, even the smaller awning over the walk out door is...PERFECT!

Rub put a lot of work and planning into this. The awnings fold down and make sides for travelling, but when open, the back area is an open porch with awnings.

Rub needs to post pictures! ;)

BOB

_________________
Raw Meat Should NOT Need an Ingredients List

BBQ Pitmasters "Chicken Wang, Chicken Wang, Chicken Wang" Battle Wagon
Junior (for SALE! I need the room!)
Monster
Stump's Mini-Stumpster
Stump's Smoker Baby
Stump's Tailgater
Stump's GF222CM Sold but came back--Needs a re-furb job
Stump's Baby (in Black) Sold
Stump's Baby (in Copper) Sold
Stump's Stretch (Tuxedo Black) Sold
Stump's Stretch (Tuxedo Black reversed door) Sold
Weber "Homer Simpson" Edition Smokey Joe
BGE "Mini"
2 Concrete blocks and a rusty oven grate


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awning for a enclosed trailer?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 8:42 pm 
Offline
Platinum 6
User avatar

Joined: April 22nd, 2010, 5:39 am
Posts: 5023
Location: Morristown, Minnesota
Has thanked: 1670 times
Have thanks: 1344 times
All great ideas guys, BUT I had to talk real sweet just to be able to pull the trigger on a Stretch last year and now I hope for a trailer this year. :roll:

_________________
Stretch Owner as of 6-11-10

I'm just a guy in my backyard, playing with fire and smoke
Mark
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awning for a enclosed trailer?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 11:35 pm 
Offline
Platinum 6
User avatar

Joined: April 22nd, 2010, 7:40 am
Posts: 3525
Location: Barnesville, Georgia
Has thanked: 124 times
Have thanks: 133 times
markcp wrote:
All great ideas guys, BUT I had to talk real sweet just to be able to pull the trigger on a Stretch last year and now I hope for a trailer this year. :roll:


Brother...TALK SWEETER!!! :D
Just tell her that Mike and Bob and Hulk Boy and Nuthouse and Purple shadow and Slow Smoke all have one... Play the sympathy card to the hilt!! You will be the raggedest Stumps smoker owner ifin you don't have a nice trailer for your rig....WAIT!
You need to play the BATHROOM... :o NO :o ...the...PRIVATE/PERSONAL BATHROOM card.... I am thinking this will push you over the edge. Just remember to talk about the old yucky porta-potties and all the folks that are using them and wouldn't it be nice to have your "OWN PRIVATE RESTROOM"?

This is light work my friend....looking forward to seeing the new rig!! 8-) 8-)

_________________
Mike from Barnesville, Georgia...Home of STUMPS FEST 2010 at the barn
Barnesville Blues Brothers Competition Cook Team
Stretch
Baby
Large BGE
Women are like rocks...The flat ones are best skipped.
"I am not afraid of falling...I just don't want to hit the ground"
WE ARE THE COMPETITION!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awning for a enclosed trailer?
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 11:50 pm 
Offline
Platinum 6
User avatar

Joined: April 22nd, 2010, 8:49 am
Posts: 3374
Location: Seattle Washington
Has thanked: 505 times
Have thanks: 689 times
blues brother wrote:
markcp wrote:
All great ideas guys, BUT I had to talk real sweet just to be able to pull the trigger on a Stretch last year and now I hope for a trailer this year. :roll:


Brother...TALK SWEETER!!! :D
Just tell her that Mike and Bob and Hulk Boy and Nuthouse and Purple shadow and Slow Smoke all have one... Play the sympathy card to the hilt!! You will be the raggedest Stumps smoker owner ifin you don't have a nice trailer for your rig....WAIT!
You need to play the BATHROOM... :o NO :o ...the...PRIVATE/PERSONAL BATHROOM card.... I am thinking this will push you over the edge. Just remember to talk about the old yucky porta-potties and all the folks that are using them and wouldn't it be nice to have your "OWN PRIVATE RESTROOM"?

This is light work my friend....looking forward to seeing the new rig!! 8-) 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OH Brother Mike, You are smooooooth 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

_________________
Darrell
Uncle D's BBQ
Stumps Stretch
22" "Roswell" Discada
Ducane gas grill
"All cooking is a matter of time. In general, the more time the better."
"I cook with wine and beer, sometimes I even add it to the food."






Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

12,241,921 Views Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Localized by Maël Soucaze © 2010 phpBB.fr