STUMP'S NATION

"A Forum Dedicated to talking about the BEST (GF)gravity-fed smoker on the PLANET!"
Photobucket
It is currently October 21st, 2017, 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Too efficient?
PostPosted: October 17th, 2012, 5:52 am 
Baby Stumps

Have thanks: 0 times
During the summer here in the south I find that my stumps holds heat so well that I have to keep the fire very small and I don't get good smoke. During the last smoke I actually opened the door about a half inch so I could get more air flow which requires more fire to keep the temps at 225-245. The question is... has anyone thought about putting a second stack on a 223 to allow more flow through the unit? I can say that when the fire is hotter/bigger I get better tasting meat.

Weber 22.5 Kettle

Post subject: Re: Too efficient?
PostPosted: October 17th, 2012, 8:19 am 
The Stretch

Have thanks: 103 times
? So the way I'm reading this is if you run it normal the temp over shoots? First have you checked all your gaskets? And second have you tightened your latches making sure your getting a good seal? Are you starting with a lit chimney of coals or lighting the charcoal at the fire grate once it's in the chute? All these variables could cause a over shoot in temp, which in a stump will take sometime to lower. This is the way I understood your post. Air flow shouldn't be the issue. Especially if you can't run a normal fire, you need to decrease airflow not increase. Oh and as far as smoke? Are you using wood? Chunks or chips? Hope this helps

Offset stickburner (sleepless nights)
Big Daddy skillet
"We all have a photographic memory, some of us just don't have any film!"

For this message the author newsouthcustoms has received gratitude : Bob in Fla

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2012, 1:53 pm 
Baby Stumps

It is not a fire control issue. The unit requires such a small fire to maintain 225 that I don't get much smoke. I found that opening the door a half inch or so actually improved the process. That is why I said a larger stack may be needed.

I use a BBQ guru to control the air into the system. It will hold whatever temp I want. Will go over night and not change more than a degree or two.

If I smoke at 275-300 I get good blue smoke and a much sweeter smoke. Just don't like to smoke at that temp.

Weber 22.5 Kettle

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2012, 4:48 pm 
Baby Stumps

Have thanks: 2 times
I am also having a smoke issue, I use lump coal. But I'm not getting the smokey goodness I want. I have been using soaked wood chips in my ash tray at start up but they don't last long.
I,m going to try some larger pieces and see if I can get a stronger smoke flavor. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Steve

For this message the author new2q has received gratitude : Saltwater Cowboy

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2012, 6:37 pm 
The Prince

Have thanks: 86 times
new2q wrote:
I am also having a smoke issue, I use lump coal. But I'm not getting the smokey goodness I want. I have been using soaked wood chips in my ash tray at start up but they don't last long.
I,m going to try some larger pieces and see if I can get a stronger smoke flavor. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Steve

I recommend fruitawoodchunks.com. great deal, great wood.

Jimmy

XL BABY 26 AUG 2012
WiFi CyberQ
Weber kettle

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2012, 8:55 pm 
The Classic

Have thanks: 76 times
I don't use soaked anything. IMHO it leads to smoldering wood. But some use that technique.
I like to use wood logs the length of the ash pan from 3 to 8 inch diameter. Whatever will fit seems to work for me.
I like hickory, cherry, oak, maple, orange...whatever i have on hand. I have not been very successful with mesquite. Maybe i will grow into it.
I get better results at 250 than i do at 225. Your mileage may vary.
jon

For this message the author jonboy has received thanks - 2: Bob in Fla, Saltwater Cowboy

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 6:11 am 
Baby Stumps

I want to thank everyone for their input. I use Royal Oak lump with Hickory or Pecan chunks. I put small chunks in the chute and chunks in the ash pan. The recurring issue is that I have to keep the air turned down so much to keep at 225 that I don't get good smoke or combustion. If I raise the temp to 250+ I start to get good combustion and sweeter smoke. At 225 the smoke is not sweet, I believe it is because it is not getting enough air. If I open the door a half inch or so I can open the input air valve more and get better smoke. If I open up the air I get a higher temp. I have used numerous thermometers all read the same.

The initial question I had in this thread was about adding a larger stack to move more air out of the smoker thus allowing a larger better combusting fire to maintain the temp. I was just curious if anyone had similar issues.

Weber 22.5 Kettle

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 1:44 pm 
The Prince

Have thanks: 41 times
Saltwater Cowboy wrote:
I want to thank everyone for their input. I use Royal Oak lump with Hickory or Pecan chunks. I put small chunks in the chute and chunks in the ash pan. The recurring issue is that I have to keep the air turned down so much to keep at 225 that I don't get good smoke or combustion. If I raise the temp to 250+ I start to get good combustion and sweeter smoke. At 225 the smoke is not sweet, I believe it is because it is not getting enough air. If I open the door a half inch or so I can open the input air valve more and get better smoke. If I open up the air I get a higher temp. I have used numerous thermometers all read the same.

The initial question I had in this thread was about adding a larger stack to move more air out of the smoker thus allowing a larger better combusting fire to maintain the temp. I was just curious if anyone had similar issues.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or give a smart alec answer, this is a genuine sentiment.
But...

You're cooking with a Stump's and it is operating the way Stump's cookers do. Based on what you're saying it seems to me like you're looking for a cooker that operates less like a Stump's and more like a stick burner. A Jambo cooks like a Jambo and it will never cook like a Stump's, my guess is you're tying to make a Stump's cook like a Jambo and that's why you're not pleased with the results.

My $0.02

I'm Stoked!!
22.5" Weber Kettle
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

For this message the author crashpilot has received thanks - 2: BigOrangeSmoker, Bob in Fla

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 7:43 pm 
Platinum 4

Have thanks: 349 times
Ive been cookin on a Stump Smoker for a little over 5 years now and dont have problem 1 with gettin smoke to the meat and i also live in the south Huntsville,alabama.I use seasoned hickory in the ash pan and have been known in the begining to over smoke food.Whay kind of charcoal you useing? We have great luck with Stubbs all natural briqs. from Lowes,works great and very little ash as well,i do keep my ash pan cleaned out in other word i dont let ashes build up,maybe a call to Mr. Stump himself might help ya out...ifn you cant reach him and would like by all means give me a call 2566821778 id be glad to help ya any way i can

Huntsville,Alabama

Put My Sauce On The Side So Folks Can See I Aint Got Nothing To Hide

For this message the author BigOrangeSmoker has received gratitude : Saltwater Cowboy

PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 4:57 am 
Baby Stumps

I have been using Royol Oak Lump. I have been trying two ways...small 2X2 chunks of hickory or pecan in the chute with the charcoal and chunks in the ash pan. I have noticed that some times I don't get good combustion with the chunks in the pan. I often get a sour or acrid smoke. Which I believe comes from incomplete combustion

Weber 22.5 Kettle