STUMP'S NATION

"A Forum Dedicated to talking about the BEST (GF)gravity-fed smoker on the PLANET!"
Photobucket
It is currently August 20th, 2017, 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Future Member of Stumps Nation
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 5:52 pm 
Platinum 6

Have thanks: 1345 times
Its just a basic 12 volt jump start box with a plug in. Much easier to use than dragging a 110 power cord around.

http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderent ... ter%20Cord

I'm just a guy in my backyard, playing with fire and smoke
Mark

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 7:59 pm 
The Stretch

Have thanks: 176 times
Congrats on your new toy. And I've seen the xl and it's a beast!!

Lge Egg
lil tex

PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 2:56 pm 
The Prince

Have thanks: 99 times
Thanks Mac! Yeah after watching Mark's videos again, particularly the one jerky, which I make A LOT of...I think I will be beastly happy with the beast as I will make up 20 lbs or more at a time. I do my snack sticks in 35lb batches (25lb chuck roll and 10 lb pork butt) and they take a lot of space to spread out in the smoker.

Thanks for the link Mark, so your battery pack gives you enough juice for an all day smoke? That is fantastic. Going to look into that. Also I'm going to need a chop saw to get my wood to size and get smaller pieces to throw in the chute.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 5:46 pm 
Platinum 6

Have thanks: 1345 times
Keide wrote:
Thanks Mac! Yeah after watching Mark's videos again, particularly the one jerky, which I make A LOT of...I think I will be beastly happy with the beast as I will make up 20 lbs or more at a time. I do my snack sticks in 35lb batches (25lb chuck roll and 10 lb pork butt) and they take a lot of space to spread out in the smoker.

Thanks for the link Mark, so your battery pack gives you enough juice for an all day smoke? That is fantastic. Going to look into that. Also I'm going to need a chop saw to get my wood to size and get smaller pieces to throw in the chute.

I think you better start sending out sample packs of those snack sticks, just so we can critique your work, and make you the best you can be. ;)

The battery pack I have was bought years ago to place in the trunk of our car for emergencies. Even being older, it still holds a charge for multiple long cooks.

Be careful with a chop saw. I was using my Dewalt 10" power miter box, and it likes to kick out the wood. Being that round wood doesn't rest tight against the fence like dimensional lumber, it tends to move while cutting. I bent a decent blade doing this. Kept all my fingers though. I had pretty good luck with a small bench top band saw, if that's available. It cuts slower and pushes the wood down against the table as you cut.

I'm just a guy in my backyard, playing with fire and smoke
Mark

PostPosted: December 5th, 2013, 10:19 am 
The Stretch

Have thanks: 206 times
markcp wrote:
Keide wrote:

I think you better start sending out sample packs of those snack sticks, just so we can critique your work, and make you the best you can be. ;)

The battery pack I have was bought years ago to place in the trunk of our car for emergencies. Even being older, it still holds a charge for multiple long cooks.

Be careful with a chop saw. I was using my Dewalt 10" power miter box, and it likes to kick out the wood. Being that round wood doesn't rest tight against the fence like dimensional lumber, it tends to move while cutting. I bent a decent blade doing this. Kept all my fingers though. I had pretty good luck with a small bench top band saw, if that's available. It cuts slower and pushes the wood down against the table as you cut.

Ditto what Mark says about the chop saw. I also have the bent blade as evidence. :shock: :o

Larry aka Purple Shadow

KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch SE on 5x8 trailer -- 10/17/14
Stumps 3x5 w/ warming box (Foster Care with Thad/for sale)
Stumps Backyarder
Good-one 30-12 X 2 (both in foster care)
Discada 24" Rio Grande disc cooker
Weber Kettle
Aussie Walk-About
Stumps Elite 6 (10/08 - 12/11)
Good-One 30-24 (12/07 - 10/11)

For this message the author Purple Shadow has received gratitude : markcp

PostPosted: December 6th, 2013, 3:41 pm 
The Prince

Thanks for the tips on the chop saw...I'm still thinking of going in that direction. I looked on amazon at some benchtop bandsaws and it seems I'd need a pretty big one to cut a decent size log or something. If I get a nice size one perhaps that would help. From some posts I've read though needed golf ball size wood chunks to put in the chute may require more finesse than a chop saw would allow - I want to keep my fingers safe...

So Mark perhaps Santa could send a package of snack sticks your way seeing its 8 degrees outside...you may need to PM Santa so his sleigh can swing by your MN farm (or so it looks in the pictures). My Cabelas 1.5 HP grinder will plow through my 35lbs of meat in less than 5 minutes.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2013, 12:05 am 
Platinum 4

Have thanks: 299 times
Congrats on the XL. As a former owner of one, I don't 35 lbs of snack sticks will start to fill it up. You'll be one happy camper when big brown shows up with that crate!!!!! Just a warning though, find 3 grown men to help you get the wheels on when she arrives. They are HEAVY!!!!! And even with the pneumatic tire package, it takes two men to push/pull it around. If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to help answer them.

Stumps Stretch in Red (Sold)
Stumps Baby in Black (Sold)
Stumps XL Stretch in Blue (Sold)
Stumps Classic to come soon!!!!! In Black
Thermapen
Cambro
KCBS/FBA Member

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 4:58 pm 
The Prince

13Q-

Thanks so much for introducing yourself. As I've been browsing the board and seeing your sig I was hoping to connect with you as an XL owner. I have so many questions that are starting to brew, so I will post a thread in the proper place with them soon. Wow so it takes 2 guys to move it around even with the pneumatic wheels? I am big guy so I'm hoping I can roll it in and out of the garage. For the two or three bigger events I do I was going to use a low trailer and Thad had talked to me about maybe welding some shackles on to it and I could use a winch to pull it up?

So even with a nice floor jack I'm going to need a crew of guys to get the casters on then...I'll have to plan then because when that thing arrives I want to be seasoning it same day! I'm so excited. I just did a batch of snack sticks this weekend and it took me four separate batches in my smoker that can reasonable do 6 to 8 pork butts....what a pain....and the racks kept slipping out and what not. Grrr.... I want the real deal.

Talk "XL Talk" soon...including why you sold yours!

-Kevin

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 7:37 pm 
Platinum 4

Have thanks: 299 times
Only reason I sold, to big!!!!!! Definitely designed for restaurants or those that vend/cater LARGE events. I am 6', 290. BANNED WORD near needed a step stool to put charcoal in the chute, lol. Talk later!!!

Stumps Stretch in Red (Sold)
Stumps Baby in Black (Sold)
Stumps XL Stretch in Blue (Sold)
Stumps Classic to come soon!!!!! In Black
Thermapen
Cambro
KCBS/FBA Member