STUMP'S NATION

"A Forum Dedicated to talking about the BEST (GF)gravity-fed smoker on the PLANET!"
Photobucket
It is currently September 24th, 2017, 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Future Member of Stumps Nation
PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 9:08 am 
The Prince

Have thanks: 100 times
Thanks so much Mark. I'm going to post twice here so I can turn my pm on with a 5 the post.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 9:15 am 
The Prince

Great points guys. So the total cost of a new XL is probably double that of a potential used Stretch.... That is quite a bit of coin.

If 12 butts can be done on the top rack and I assume you can run only 3 shelves while doing butts. There was a lengthy thread in here about temp variation most of you guys did weigh in on, it was in the invention forum. Sounds like I would be happy with a stretch but not diss appointed with an XL!

10 butts at a time Mark... Sounds like you could have done at least 20?

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 9:50 am 
The Prince

Have thanks: 77 times
Keide wrote:
Great points guys. So the total cost of a new XL is probably double that of a potential used Stretch.... That is quite a bit of coin.

If 12 butts can be done on the top rack and I assume you can run only 3 shelves while doing butts. There was a lengthy thread in here about temp variation most of you guys did weigh in on, it was in the invention forum. Sounds like I would be happy with a stretch but not diss appointed with an XL!

Well, I'm not Mark, but part of the equation is how long it takes to pull the pork. Before I bought a Roman pork puller, my limit was 6 butts per day. They would take me about 2 hours and I was done, cause I'm old and fat and wore out.

Another consideration is how much reefer space you have to cool stuff down quickly if you want to store it.

If doing a big cook for church or something, being ready on time is a challenge. Having a team that knows what it's doing and will keep their hands washed or they know the gloves are to protect the eaters, not themselves, takes a lot of training effort on your part.

I've never seen an XL stretch, but I know you can turn out a LOT of meat on a Stretch. And you could always add a cooker in the future for some flexibility on times and/or meats.

Just my $02. And, welcome. There are some smart people on this forum who are willing to help. I know whatever you decide will be better than what you've got.

Les

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 10:36 am 
Platinum 6

Have thanks: 1345 times
BigKrabba wrote:
Keide wrote:

Well, I'm not Mark, but part of the equation is how long it takes to pull the pork. Before I bought a Roman pork puller, my limit was 6 butts per day. They would take me about 2 hours and I was done, cause I'm old and fat and wore out.

Another consideration is how much reefer space you have to cool stuff down quickly if you want to store it.

If doing a big cook for church or something, being ready on time is a challenge. Having a team that knows what it's doing and will keep their hands washed or they know the gloves are to protect the eaters, not themselves, takes a lot of training effort on your part.

I've never seen an XL stretch, but I know you can turn out a LOT of meat on a Stretch. And you could always add a cooker in the future for some flexibility on times and/or meats.

Just my $02. And, welcome. There are some smart people on this forum who are willing to help. I know whatever you decide will be better than what you've got.

Les

Well said, The reason I stuck to 8 - 10 butts at a time was how long it took from start to end. I was getting case lots of 8 - 10 butts, so it made it easy keeping things fresh from store to smoker to freezer bags.

I'm just a guy in my backyard, playing with fire and smoke
Mark

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 6:26 pm 
The Prince

Thanks for all the encouragement guys and Bill thanks for the two links. The venison bologna looks awesome and neat to see you could rig up the stumps to cold smoke! That is exciting!

Well as you can see in my signature I talked to to Thad today and the XL is now on the board at the shop in Georgia!! I'm a bit anxious and Mark has been pm'ing me on how to talk to my wife about this :shock:

So I have stamped my ticket to join STUMPS NATION!

For this message the author Keide has received gratitude : ButlerQ

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 11:27 pm 
Platinum 6

Have thanks: 1345 times
Now that was the easy part. Waiting for it to be delivered will be the tough part.

Congratulations and again welcome.

I'm just a guy in my backyard, playing with fire and smoke
Mark

PostPosted: November 30th, 2013, 5:28 pm 
The Classic

Have thanks: 298 times
hey kevin,

welcome to the nation. i own two stumps (baby & classic) and they BOTH deliver some great bbq. ive seen the monstrousity that is a xl stretch in person and boy those things will put out a lot of product. a LOT LOT LOT of people just love how the regular stretch cooks and if thats what you go with you'll be more than happy with your purchase for sure. like stump says "as long as it says stumps on the front youll be ok."

Stumps Classic
Stumps Baby "LaFawnduh"
Fast Eddy PG500
22" Weber Kettle
Memaw's cast iron skillet

For this message the author Blake has received gratitude : Bob in Fla

PostPosted: December 1st, 2013, 7:03 pm 
The Prince

So now the waiting has begun....what do I do? Do I smoke meat on my crappy smokers while I wait for my XL? Do I sit in the darkness and brood that I didn't buy a used Stretch and travel 1,200 miles to get it? Do I drool over the pictures of finished product in the stumps forums?

So the guys in the men's ministry at church are pretty excited about the XL. Last fall we sold 600 portions of pulled pork for a fund raiser and had to turn folks away. So we should be able to remedy this now ;-).

Tick Tock....sigh..........

PostPosted: December 1st, 2013, 7:05 pm 
Baby Stumps

Have thanks: 1 times
Just want to say hello I am new to your forms

PostPosted: December 1st, 2013, 7:20 pm 
The Stretch

Have thanks: 453 times
greighard wrote:
Just want to say hello I am new to your forms

Welcome to the forum. Try starting a new topic and tell us a little about yourself.

Eric

Gas Grill: Have
Electric Smoker: Have

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next