STUMP'S NATION

"A Forum Dedicated to talking about the BEST (GF)gravity-fed smoker on the PLANET!"
Photobucket
It is currently June 29th, 2017, 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Future Member of Stumps Nation
PostPosted: November 28th, 2013, 7:42 pm 
The Prince

Have thanks: 99 times
Greetings, I have been a reader for a number of months and got set up here so I could ask a few questions. I have been smoking meat with great success for the last 4 years and am tired of tending fires and adding fuel, even with my tallboy which was designed for the BBQ Guru. So this Christmas I am getting a Stumps! I talked to Thad and am very excited about their Black Friday sale.

I don't know if this is the right place for a few questions, but if anyone would toss out some thoughts in time for me to call in tomorrow that would be great.

1. I have purchased a number of smokers and each time I wish I would have got a larger model. Two times a year I do an event for church which can be up to 30 or so butts. If I get the Stretch will I wish I would have gotten the Stretch XL? I see that Markcp has some youtube videos I have been watching of what he has done with his stretch and am impressed. Is the XL any harder to run or take longer to get to temp or any downsides?

2. Is it possible to get a a good cold smoke with a stumps? I do like to do snacksticks and a quite a bit of sausage. The website says you can run them as low as 175.

3. Think I could get Thad to extend the Black Friday sale to the XL????? ;-)

Thanks Nation for any help. I'm really excited to get a quality smoker and no more of this uninsulated up at night stuff. With 5 kids I need a better way....

Thanks,

-Kevin

Post subject: Re: Future Member of Stumps Nation
PostPosted: November 28th, 2013, 10:47 pm 
Platinum 6

Have thanks: 1344 times
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you joining us. Happy to see more people from the upper midwest here.

From others in the same situation wondering what size smoker to go with, most times it is recommended to go the largest you can afford. If possible many like to have two or more, just for more capacity and cooking at different temps. I still have one Stretch and I don't ever second guess my choice as being too big, while a Baby may have been large enough for me.

I have not seen a Stretch XL in person, or do I know how they cook in comparison to other smokers. I do know the gravity feed smokers are sure great for overnight cooks. Fill them up, set the temps and see them in the morning.

This site is great for helping out everyone. I'm sure others will chime in on cold smoking, and operations of a XL or any other questions you may have. I know Butler Q here has cold smoked cheese often with great results. I think 13Q was also a XL Stretch owner?

Thank you for the feedback on my videos. Over 99% of my cooking success can be traced back to the guys who post on these pages and owning a Stump smoker. It is a great product, with a great bunch of guys willing to help others.

I'm just a guy in my backyard, playing with fire and smoke
Mark

PostPosted: November 28th, 2013, 11:59 pm 
Platinum 6

Have thanks: 870 times
Welcome to the Nation Kevin. Mark does have some great videos out there on what the Stretch can do. In addition, you can get 30 butts on one with no problem

As for cold smoking, I'll post something instructional in the next day or so. But, i did a natch of cheese last weekend and kept my Stretch at 100 with no problems. I even did 30 lb of bologna last year for a friend as well: http://threedogsbbq.blogspot.com/2013/01/yes-deer.html

Hope this helps,

Bill

Stumps Baby
Stumps Backyarder
Stumps Junior "Ole Blue"
Stumps Stretch
Weber Smokey Joe
DigiQ DX
The to be Named BBQ Trailer

http://www.threedogsbbq.blogspot.com

“Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer” Henry Lawson

Where there is smoke, there is good food...

Support your Local Butcher!

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 12:39 am 
The Prince

How great of you both to respond so quickly, thanks!! There is one used stretch on the market in our forums I'm thinking about, but with the Black Friday 20% off stretches it's hard to not want a new one. The wait doesn't bother me that much.

Markcp, your Midwest personality shines through your vids
and posts. I was particularly impressed by your awesome ribs at 255' and your cooks on the MN snow. So had you the budget, would you of gone with the XL? Have you maxed out your stretch?

Bill the cold smoking sounds great! I'm encouraged by that. I saw an article on doing the cheese with an alternate fuel source (ie not using the charcoal chute) on the bottom of the stretch.

So new, there's a $1400 upcharge for the XL, and probably more for shipping etc. and it's more yet if you figure in the sale tomorrow. Agony on the decisions! So you guys can vouch the charcoal bridging is not a problem and you get enough smoke? If you law it run overnight Markcp you aren't there to keep adding wood?

Thanks for being so kind with my noob questions. Tomorrow is decision day!

Anxious in WI :-)

-Kevin

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 12:45 am 
The Prince

One more comment, Bill have you done 30 butts and is that the max then? Are you having to shift them around or is the temp consistent enough throughout? Do you wrap yours with a stumps or is it moist enough in the chamber you go without?

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 1:57 am 
The Stretch

Have thanks: 188 times
Keide
Hey, glad ya becoming a Stumps owner you won't regret it. Ive had a stretch since the beginning, when they only came with 4 rack runners. The stretch is the way to go, I'm kinda biased. YOU might want to take a look at the used one by you. YOU can't hurt the smoker if it's got 5 racks see if ya like it check it out. If it would save ya some coins
Make sure to ask all the questions ya want we were all newbies once. The stretch is very friendly & a good size for anything ya want too do with it.
Plus y'll end up buying another one or 2 it's addictive :lol:

Stump's Stretch
Tailgater 2010
Carter's Caterer
Weber Genesis
Weber Performer
22" WSM

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 7:23 am 
The Stretch

Have thanks: 453 times
I would like to say welcome to the nation. There are a lot of good guys here and are willing to help any way they can. There are a lot of options out there, but you can't go wrong with a Stumps. Like it has been said before, get the biggest one you can afford and have fun.

Eric

Gas Grill: Have
Electric Smoker: Have

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 7:49 am 
Platinum 6

Kevin,

I've never tried to max it out. I had 12 butts on the top rack this past summer with no problems. I do not wrap. No need to in a Stumps. I only wrap for competition so I can get some of the juices for my sauce, plus they are going in a cooler anyway for holding.

The master of stuffing a Stretch is Hutch. Hopefully he will chime in with his $.02...

Thanks,

Bill

Stumps Baby
Stumps Backyarder
Stumps Junior "Ole Blue"
Stumps Stretch
Weber Smokey Joe
DigiQ DX

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 8:01 am 
Platinum 6

Have thanks: 1344 times
Kevin,

If you have several large cooks each year I wouldn't hesitate in getting an XL Stretch. I've seen many members here buy a smaller cooker, and then a few months later list it for sale to purchase a bigger one. I'd hate to go through the waiting process all over without a cooker. If you only do one larger cook it might be oversized? I guess you need to look at your future and how often the larger cooks will be happening? The XL Stretch looks like a huge metal masterpiece ready to be loaded up with several hundred pounds of meat.

I went from an old Char-Griller offset that I could dry ribs out with the best of them, but only a few at a time. I wanted a fully insulated cooker that wind and cold would not effect. I also wanted capacity to cook for the occasional large groups of people. When I purchased, the Stretch it was way over sized for my needs, and I do not ever regret going larger than needed. I have cooked as little as one rack of ribs up to cooking for 300 people on it. (Pulled pork for 300 was done 10 butts at a time,over a few weekends, then froze) I would never be able to get 30 butts on a Stretch, not saying others can't.

For overnight cooks I start with a couple larger sized wood pieces in my ash pan, and if needed I add golfball sized wood chunks in with my charcoal. As the charcoal feeds down so does the wood. With my Guru set, it is no trouble sleeping through the night as brisket or butts are cooking away. I think about every Stump owner on the first overnight cook still gets up to check temps though, me included. :oops:

As far as my mid-west personality showing through on my videos, well I do have a face for radio and a voice for silent films. :lol: :lol:

Best of luck with your decision and don't be afraid to ask away with questions. I know Milwaukee is a few hours away, but you are sure welcome to come check out my Stretch. Heck, I'll even throw some meat on for you to taste test.

I'm just a guy in my backyard, playing with fire and smoke
Mark

PostPosted: November 29th, 2013, 8:59 am 
Platinum 6

Here is the cheese info...

http://www.threedogsbbq.blogspot.com/20 ... heese.html

Stumps Baby
Stumps Backyarder
Stumps Junior "Ole Blue"
Stumps Stretch
Weber Smokey Joe
DigiQ DX

For this message the author ButlerQ has received gratitude : padge31